“The faucet is leaking. Call a plumber!”

A faucet is a metal tube that water comes out of, often in a sink or bathtub. They can also be found in yards connected to garden hoses. Other names for a faucet are “spigot” or “tap”. In the U.S. a “spigot” is more likely to be outdoors. The kitchen faucet or tap provides us with “tap water”, as opposed to filtered or bottled water.


「Faucet(蛇口)」は、流しやお風呂にある水が出る金属のチューブです。ホースをつなげたものが庭にもよく見られます。「spigot」や「tap」とも言われます。アメリカでは、「spigot」のほうが外にあるものととられやすいです。台所の蛇口からは(浄水器を通した水やペットボトルに入った水ではなく)「tap water(水道水)」が出てきます。